Sunday, 3 November 2013

I am a legacy.

Recent events have left me thinking a whole lot more about my ancestors - the people of whom I am a descendant. Throughout the Bible this sort of thing is clearly important - but what does it mean for me?

Two families came together in my parent's marriage and out of that came me and my lovely siblings - and I have always had a huge regard for family.

With family comes responsibility. I have always been someone that sees it as important to take the time to see those with whom you share blood.

It fascinates me that, though I am entirely unique, the sharing of blood creates people with similarities in people's characteristics, likes, dislikes, even wants and hopes. I will never be one to claim to understand the science behind it - but I would never let it be said that it is a coincidence that when both my brother and I see a mirror something in us comes alive and suddenly we express something bubbling inside with love and humour {yeah - I pull faces at myself and even dance - I know, no one would have thought I'd choose to dance AND watch myself}. We have similar mannerisms, and we both manage to come across strong yet carry hugely sensitive hearts inside of us.

With family comes responsibility. I have been left with their legacy and I think it is important to live it out. Their blood has been passed down to me - and with it so has so much about them.

But also - all that they have achieved. Relationships: built or broken. It is down to me to see them grow stronger or be restored.

These people did their journey on this earth - and now I must learn from what they did. I must share in their triumphs and understand their downfalls.

I must let their love live on. I must pass these stories on to generations to come. Because our heritage matters.  We all have a story and where we come from is a part of it.

And like with everything: there are the mountaintops and the valleys. Let us be people who rejoice and celebrate the mountaintops and never forget the valleys. Let us find healing and freedom from the valleys, but still let them remain. Without the valley there would not be a mountaintop - and without the valley we would not learn.

Let us be people who learn and grow and dream and live in the legacy that has been left us.