Friday, 6 September 2013

What I would love to tell my friends about "the man upstairs"...

The fact is not everyone I spend time with believes in God, let alone has a relationship with Him. One of these such friends made a passing comment today in jest... We were crossing a usually very busy road, and all the traffic lights seemed to just work out right for us, and my friend laughed saying "did you send one up to the man upstairs, Grace?"

My friends all know I am what they call a 'Christian' {for me it's something closer to 'a totally messy, but enthusiastic follower of Jesus'}. And sometimes they even ask me about it, I have told them before, 'God talks to me' and I see them grapple with that idea, trying to comprehend what that means.

....I know some think that means I must have some problems {I am a little crazy after all} perhaps even mad? But many just accept it, and then move on.

There are so many things I would love to explain to these people, but actually, when it comes down to the crunch, I often don't manage to get the words out in the order or manner that I would like.

I want to tell them of this God who loves them despite their reluctance to believe in His existence. I want to tell them that the reason I am not perfect is that being a 'Christian' isn't about being perfect, in fact it's about a whole lot of grace. I want to tell them that this God who loves them is offering them the gift of eternity.

I want to tell them that God isn't like what they find out He is in the movies, or in RE lessons. God is so much more. SO MUCH. 

I want to tell them of this relationship I have, of this that means I never have to worry. I want to tell them how money isn't the be all and end all. I want to tell them that they are worth more than a fling with a boy....even a long-standing fling.  

I want to tell them that the Creator of the universe says they are worth enough for Him to die.

I want to admit that the Church is forever getting it wrong, but tell them that we can, and we want to, welcome them in and love on them. 

I want them to know that there is more to life than good grades, university and partying.

I want them to know that I really, utterly and truly don't look down on them. That I love them, that I get it wrong, but I do love them.

I want them to know that they have a Father waiting for them with His arms outstretched.

I want them to know that life can't be understood or put into boxes no matter how many exams are passed.

I want them to understand the beauty in their image. I want them to know that the reason I don't weigh myself, that I don't count calories or go to the gym isn't that I like party rings so unbelievably much {though of course that plays a factor} but is that God loves me just as I am. It's that I don't want to let such a thing control my life. I don't have time to waste because people are dying in this world and God has hope for them. I want them to know that there is no situation without hope.

I want then to know that God loves them. Really I don't care about anything else. I just want them to know that God loves them. Wherever they go. Whatever they do. Whoever they become. Whatever happens. God loves them. God will always love them.