Tuesday, 2 July 2013

Enough is enough: Grace the Brave!

The most frequented phrase leaving my lips of late has been, 'I'm scared'... or perhaps, for variation's sake, 'It's just so scary'.

Or when I'm being really clever, 'Fear is consuming me'.

Are you noticing a theme?

At Cherish 2013 it was my Jericho:

I am scared, and being scared is holding me back from stepping out.

So I got to the point that I could admit it, and I recognised it within me, but still it ate away... it's eating away.

After I had found reason after reason after reason to be scared, my friend said to me {in her most fabulous Brazilian accent}:

"Take that word out of your mouth, no longer will you say 'I'm scared' because now you are 'Grace the Brave'

I struggled with this, for so long I have had negative connotations connected to this word, brave. Courageous would be acceptable, but brave?

I came home and started looking into it, thinking about it.
"Courage is not the absence of fear. It is the willingness to act in spite of my fear.
But the Bible says so many more times than just the once,
"Do not be afraid.
I therefore came to the conclusion that this courage thing doesn't fit in with God, He isn't asking you to act despite fear, He is asking you to act with no fear. He is asking you to lay all your fears at His feet.

I am not called to step out of the boat even though I am scared, I am called to let God take my fears and step out of the boat with confidence in Him.

So here I am.

It's not despite fear it is WITHOUT fear.

Beginning to near the shouting of the war cry as I leave fear in my wake...


It is going to take time, all is the learning journey.

But God has it covered.

No longer will fear have a hold over me, I am a child of God, and in God's court fear ceases to exist.

I am moving from a ladybug, or even a giraffe, to a lion.

RAWR.