Wednesday, 6 February 2013

Is violence ever okay?

I was part of a discussion about this on Sunday night, to be honest, being a talkative, opinionated person, I probably spoke the most.

Me, personally, I don't think that it is ever okay.

If someone broke into my house and they were going to brutally murder my family, I don't know what it is I would do, but I know what I think is okay, and what is unacceptable.

How about war? Is it okay to go to war?

Restraining a dangerous criminal? What if they were a danger to others or even themselves if they weren't restrained?

These are big questions, and all quite hypothetical, because I am unsure as to the likelihood of any of them actually happening to me.

But here's the truth of the matter, what I believe we need to remember.

I am a loved, cherished, chosen child of God.  That is what I believe.  But I sin, I muck up, I call people "idiot" "freak" "eejit" my list is long, and its not helpful, its downgrading, and in no way is it love.

It is not treating others as the loved, cherished, chosen child of God that they are.

I think its scary, and hard, HARD eucharisteo, but the truth is even murderers, or people who might hurt you, people who you believe need to be stopped, and put in prison.  Even they are loved, cherished, chosed children of God.

There is no ONE who God doesn't love, because God is love and thanks to Jesus, NOthing can separate us from Him.  Nothing can separate us from God's love.

It isn't okay to raise your hand to that, and when Jesus says to turn the other cheek, I'm pretty sure He's not kidding.

We can't just hide from the problems that are out there.  There ARE people who need help, there are people who actually it probably would be easier and cheaper to shut them away forever.

But let us always remember to not put ourselves in the place of God.

The judging is to be done by Him, and Him alone.

So whether someone simply tells you you're ugly, or they threaten your life, let us always find the way that is best to love them.

Because God is love, and so we must let that overflow from every corner of us, even the protective corner, and in God there is hope of transformation.

Let us never lose hope.

Because once we remove someone's hope, where is their second chance? I believe our God is into second chances, in fact I think He overflows with them.

Let us start reflecting His heart.

Let us learn to forgive.

I know it hurts, and its really hard, how can I ever love someone who can do THIS to someone else?  But God is love and God overflows with grace.

And at the end of the day there are no answers to all the questions (If there had been no war how would Hitler ever have been stopped?) so when the answers disappear into what seems like the deepest depths of the darkest ravine, we have to stand on the bridge of trust and faith in God.

We need to keep our conversation constant with Him, so that He can flow through us and guide us, and give us wisdom in every situation.

Because the mother will never let her daughter be killed, not ever.

When we ask God will give us wisdom, let us trust Him always.

Because I don't see how we can live any other way.

I don't know is the answer. My gut says violence is never okay, but I doubt it, because there are situations where I can see no other way.