Monday, 11 June 2012

If this is a battle, where do I stand?


As I go about my life it very often feels like I am in a battle.  A massive battle that sees me up against everything, and everyone else.  I have to put in every piece of effort I can  muster up to keep going, to not be knocked over, or kicked in the gutter.  People just keep throwing their rubbish at me, and all I have to defend myself is my broken hands, shielding my cut and dirty face.  I am attacked from all sides, it’s me in the middle, with everyone else joining together to bring me down.  I feel hated and despised.  I feel unworthy.  I feel worthless.  Me against the world.

If this is how I feel as someone who is privileged to have a house, a loving family, a bed, food, water, and all that I need, how do others feel?  Others who don’t have these things, others who are literally left on the street, battling with life each day, others who are forgotten about, who are lost and deserted.

I would not be able to get up each day if I did not know that God was there with me, looking after me.  His presence in my life does not mean I stop feeling threatened, attacked or scared, but it does mean I can turn to Him and find safety in His arms, His love can give me peace in every situation, and He takes away my worries.

God gives us His armour, preparing us to face what comes our way:

“Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.” (Ephesians 6:13-18 MSG)


As I move through my life, I do have stuff that makes me feel awful, but this is not who I am, I am a loved child of God, He created me, knows everything about me and has great plans for me.  God has given me these weapons to fight the fight, He has given me friends, who continually support, encourage and build me up.  He has blessed me with so many gifts, and He loves me.  He strengthens me, and gives me hope.  He tells me that though I am unworthy, He still gives His son, to give me life.  He says that I am not worthless, I am a chosen child of God.  It is not me against the world, for He stands with me, and when I fall He picks me up and carries me.


He picks me up and carries me.


Footprints in the sand...