Sunday, 17 June 2012

Hopping Mountains

I was just praising God this morning, and then I laughed out loud to myself at this line…


“Mountains bow down and the seas will roar at the sound of Your name” - Shout to the Lord, by Darlene Zschech


I have never quite understood it; in fact I didn’t until this morning.  Jesus said, “If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."  (Matthew 17:20)  This verse is familiar to me, people have taught it to me for as long as I can remember, on different occasions.

I just have never properly understood it.  I couldn’t understand why the mountains weren’t moving.  Was it because no-one on this earth has faith even the size of a mustard seed?  Was Jesus lying?  It just did not make sense.  I was truly expecting the mountains to move.

Evidently, I can be a very literal thinker, I have been pondering this in the depths of my mind for years, and this morning I realised, God doesn’t want to use His power to throw the mountains around.  Moving mountains isn’t in accordance with His will, and it is when, “we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.”

I laughed at myself; why would God want to move a mountain, when He could do something so much greater?

I imagined all the mountains hopping around the world, which they would if it was in accordance with His will; it made me laugh and laugh.  I realised that what I had been expecting had been so ridiculous, I can imagine God laughing with me at this mistake.

When I look around me there are mountains being moved, not just moving but doing backflips in the air, and somersaults across the planets and the stars; they’re just not real mountains.  They are miracles, happening today, in real people’s lives. For them that pile of rubbish in their lives being chucked away, or that person being healed, or that fire being rekindled in someone, is so much greater than a mountain hopping across the sea, and it is for me too.

So after imagining the mountains hopping around, my mind is turned to things so much greater, things that will bring us all another step closer to God’s kingdom come.  Things so much greater than what can be imagined, things that you and I can be a part of.