Friday, 8 June 2012

Clothing my heart.


My hair’s all over the place and I look a tip.

I was just sitting here considering the amount of hours people spend getting ready.  Ready for what? People spend hours of their lives getting ready to meet up with other people who have spent hours getting ready.

There is no way you can deny it.  Often, I give the appearance of someone who doesn’t care what they look like, and if you asked me I would probably say that I don’t care.  The truth is I do care, everybody cares, we all have this desire to be accepted, to ‘fit in’, to not be judged by other people, other the people who have the same desire.

This is just one, never-ending circle.  Think of all those wasted hours spent getting ready.  Time is very precious, and we are wasting away our time on trivial things such as the way we look? 

What would happen if every person halved the time they spent getting ready and doubled the time they spent talking to people, having relationships with people?

Could I do it? Could I stop looking at myself for so long, and start looking to God, letting Him show me how to spend my time?  The easy answer is no.  It would be easy to make excuses as to why not.  But is God looking for excuses? God knows the truth, He knew it before we even looked for it.

God says,” People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7)

If I am living for God and not living for people, how should I really be getting ready?

Choosing the clothes to wear, and how to have my hair are not things God is concerned of.  I need to clothe my heart, clothe it and fill it with good things.

Love.  Joy.  Peace.  Patience.  Kindness.  Goodness.  Faithfulness.  Gentleness.  Self-control.  Righteousness.  And all things that God shows me through His word.


As I get up each morning, I want to spend time clothing my heart with things of God.

See 'Hidden Beauty' for more.

You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God. 1 Peter 3:4