Thursday, 3 May 2012

God's foundations.


I keep a journal, and in it I write about me, about my life, what I’m finding hard and what is going well.  I write it all to God.

I am in my second year of keeping a journal, and in my second notebook. Before starting the second notebook I looked back over the first notebook, I found some Bible passages I had started it with. I re-read them, and realised just how much they had changed and shaped my life that year.  I decided to start my second notebook in the same way.  The first verse I chose was, ‘Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne. Psalm 89:14’.

This year I am going to the Dominican Republic. I have never been out of Europe before.  I am going to the Dominican Republic to help build a house for people who live in slums and to visit some projects out there.  I am going to the Dominican Republic because I believe it is wrong that anyone should live in something that I would not even find suitable to camp in.  I am going to the other side of the world for 2 weeks, to say NO to something I see as injustice.

God cares. God believes in strong foundations, Jesus says to build your house upon the rock like the wise man, for the foolish man’s house, built upon the sand, will fall with a crash when the floods come (Matthew 7:24-27).  The foundations of God’s throne are righteousness and justice.  God cares about righteousness and justice, God wants us to care about righteousness and justice.

I cannot wait to go to the Dominican Republic, I know it is going to be an experience like no other, does that mean I am not worried?  No, I worry about everything.  Next week I have the first injections, my body doesn’t react well to injections.  I am on the other side of the world for my birthday, I have never celebrated my birthday without my family. Dominican Republic has diseases that I do not want. I am going to a strange place. My worries could fill pages, but I give them to God and I know He will care for me.  I trust that as I travel and meet more of God’s people that He will look after me.  My biggest prayer for my trip to the Dominican Republic, is that God will use me, and not only will my life be changed, but that, through me, God will change many lives, and righteousness and justice can be more than dreams for the future, righteousness and justice can be foundations for the now.