Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Absolutely!

"Do I feel totally prepared? No. But am I ready to throw myself whole-heartedly into what is in store? Absolutely!" - I was writing about a maths exam.

For a long time I kept telling myself that I couldn't wait to become an adult because then I could be who God wants me to be.  I was convinced that once I was an adult, the whole living for God 'thing' would suddenly become a whole lot easier.

It would be easier to give money, because I would have a regular income. It would be easier to give my time because every moment would be mine to divide.  It would be easier to give my service because people would want, and respect help from an adult.

I was blind and believing lies. I was blind to reality. Have you looked around recently?  Because, when I finally did look, my eyes were opened to the struggle that many adults have to get a job with a regular income, let alone give that away.  My eyes were opened to just how busy adults are, the struggle to balance children, with sleep, as well as partners, work, friends, and their faith.  My eyes were opened to the lack of time meaning many adults are not able to give their service. I was blind and believing lies.

I was blind and believing lies.  I looked some more and saw the amount of money, and possessions I am given generously by my family and friends, I saw money that I love to receive, yet do not really need.  I saw the amount of time I have, and just how much of it I waste away watching useless television programs and sitting around doing next to nothing.  I saw the need, and want for people like me to go out there, offer their service and help out.  I could finally see.

God doesn't care what age you are.  He's not waiting for you to be old enough and He's not wishing you were younger, He is waiting for you to throw yourself whole-heartedly into what He has for you.

I don't feel prepared but God says that He has prepared me and will look after me, so what am I waiting for?  God has blessed me with money, time, gifts and talents. I need to stop waiting to feel prepared in myself and start trusting in God and His plans, plans He thought of before I was even born.

If I keep waiting will a time ever come when I feel ready in myself? No, I need to stop waiting to be spiritual enough, to feel big enough, or to be old enough, and I need to seek intimacy with the One who created me.  He created me and so knows what I am capable of, I need to trust Him.  If I cannot trust the One who knows how many hairs are on my head (Luke 12:7), and how many stars are in the sky (Psalms 147:4),  I have no hope to trust anybody.

Do I feel totally prepared in myself?  Definitely not.  But am I ready to throw myself into what God has in store for me? Absolutely! For in God I am fully prepared and equipped. Absolutely!

"When God says jump, our only question should be 'How high?'"

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power. 2 Timothy 1:7