Monday, 30 April 2012

Who am I to judge?

Why is it that we seem to have this desire to hate? This desire to hate somebody or something, we seem to want to find problems in everyone and everything. When we first meet somebody within three seconds we have decided if we like them or not. Three seconds isn't really enough time to find out somebody's life story, who they are, what they're doing, and where they are going. If we are not willing to give them a chance, does that mean we can still expect them to give us one?

In Moulin Rouge the protagonist says, "the greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return". If this is true why are we not happy to simply love and to be loved in return? Why do we find it necessary to find fault, to look for the problems and to make ourselves the best? Do not try to tell me that you have never looked at someone, and without even speaking to them, have decided you don't like them, because it would not be true. Everyone has done it, there is nobody who could honestly say they haven't.
I've done it, I'm walking along the street, taking in my surroundings, watching as the postman walks to the next house, watching as the single mum hurries to get her two young children into the car, watching as the homeless person tries to make himself comfortable on a bench. I'm watching and observing, but I'm also judging. Judging the postman who seems rather lost in himself as he goes about his round, judging whether he's someone I could smile at, someone I could be friendly to, someone I'd welcome with the love and kindness everybody deserves. I'm judging the single mum, who should have been more careful, should have been more organised, should have sorted out her children. I'm judging the homeless person who doesn't even deserve a glance, the homeless person who is so bad that no one cares about him, the homeless person who hasn't bothered with life.
Who am I to judge? All I have done is watched and observed, how does that give me the authority to judge these people? I have no idea of their background, their story, what brought them to where they are. Who am I to decide whether these people deserve a home, deserve food, deserve a job, deserve a chance, deserve love?
If a rock is a rock, then a person is a person. No matter who they are, no matter what they've done, no matter where they live. Why do I look at people and think that I have the authority to find something to hate?
Everybody deserves a chance. Everybody deserves a chance to live, to care, to be, to love, to be loved, to want, to be wanted, to look after, to be looked after, to eat, to be who they are. Why should I decide if they get that chance  to live, to care, to be, to love, to be loved, to want, to be wanted, to look after, to be looked after, to eat, to be who they are? I shouldn't. I should just simply love, even if that love is a simple smile as I watch and observe, I should just simply love. I should just simply love, and not hate.

God doesn't judge, He can see beyond our imperfections, and He loves us. Nothing can seperate us from his love.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.  Romans 8:38-39